4th-year PhD Candidate @ UIUC iSchool
I'm a PhD student in the School of Information Sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (my "official" webpage). My advisors are Dr. Madelyn Sanfilippo and Dr. Ted Underwood. I also work closely with Dr. Xin Tong at Duke Kunshan University, Dr. Rachel F. Adler at UIUC, and Dr. Jinjun Xiong at the University at Buffalo. I'm affiliated with the Governance Lab on Sociotechnical Systems (GLOSS), DKU HCI Lab, and the Information Experience and Accessibility Lab.
I obtained my Bachelor's degree in Computer Science from Hongyi Honor College at Wuhan University, China, advised by Dr. Chenliang Li. Previously, I was a visiting researcher at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, advised by Dr. Justin Hsu, Fudan University, advised by Dr. Xianghua (Sharon) Ding, Westlake University, advised by Dr. Yue Zhang, and the University of Maryland-College Park, advised by Dr. Furong Huang. I was a research intern at Tencent, Bytedance, and Zall Research Institute of Smart Commerce.
I'm an HCI/Usable Security researcher aiming to understand, design, and govern ICT/AI (e.g., generative AI, blockchain, social and streaming media) experience for vulnerable populations.
- Understanding and Designing ICT/AI Experience for Vulnerable Populations, especially children, women, older adults, people with disabilities, people in authoritarian regimes, and beyond
- Governing ICT/AI to Make Them Work Ethically for All, especially identifying ethical issues in ICT/AI, thinking of ways (design/policy) to mitigate ethical issues, and educating people to get them prepared
More recently, my research focuses on LLMs, accessible designs, and gender.
- I'm actively looking for a 2024 Summer Internship in HCI, usable security, or LLMs!
- I'm always happy to collaborate and mentor junior researchers. If you're interested in working with me on projects of common interest, please drop me a line or schedule a 30-min chat with me!
- [11/2023] One paper accepted to Information Matters!
- [11/2023] I passed my field (qualifying) exam and officially become a PhD candidate!
- [11/2023] One policy comment on AI copyright presented to U.S. Copyright Office.
- [11/2023] One paper accepted to NLP4DH! See you in Tokyo!
- [10/2023] Our paper on ChatGPT bias will be featured in the AI Ethics Brief soon!
- [10/2023] One presentation accepted to UIUC iSchool Research Showcase!
- [10/2023] 🏆 Our CSCW paper receives Recognition for Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion (15/263, 5.7%)!
- [09/2023] One paper accepted to Supporting User Engagement in Testing, Auditing, and Contesting AI Workshop co-located with CSCW! See you in Minneapolis!
- [09/2023] One paper accepted to CSCW! See you in Costa Rica!
- [08/2023] I'm nominated for Apple PhD Fellowship in AI/ML by iSchool (2 in total)!
- [08/2023] I'll be TAing IS 567: Text Mining for the fall semester!
- [07/2023] I receive a USENIX grant to attend SOUPS! See you in Anaheim!
- [06/2023] I'll give a lightning talk in Designing AI Interfaces for Children with Special Needs in Educational Contexts Workshop co-located with IDC! See you in Chicago!
- [06/2023] One paper accepted to CSCW! See you in Minneapolis!
- [06/2023] One poster accepted to SOUPS! See you in Anaheim!
- [06/2023] One policy comment on AI accountability presented to NTIA.
- [05/2023] One paper
conditionallyaccepted to SOUPS! See you in Anaheim!
- [05/2023] One paper
conditionallyaccepted to USENIX Security! See you in Anaheim!
- [04/2023] One paper accepted to FiDeFix Workshop co-located with ICDCS! See you in Hong Kong!
- [04/2023] One paper accepted to IC2S2! See you in Copenhagen!
- [03/2023] One paper
conditionallyaccepted to CSCW! See you in Minneapolis!
- [01/2023] 🏆 Our HICSS paper wins a Best Paper Award (11/678, 1.6%)!
- [12/2022] One paper accepted to HCI International! See you in Copenhagen!
- [12/2022] I'll be an associate chair (AC) for CHI late-breaking work. Submit your best papers!
- [11/2022] One paper accepted to iConference! See you in Barcelona!
- [11/2022] I'll give a talk at Duke Kunshan University. Follow along here!
- [09/2022] One paper accepted to CESC! See you in Berkeley!
- [08/2022] One paper accepted and one paper
conditionallyaccepted to HICSS! See you in Hawaii!
- [08/2022] I'll be TAing IS 202: Social Aspects of Information Technology for the fall semester!
- [07/2022] I'll give a talk in Researching Web3 Workshop. Follow along here!
- [06/2022] One paper
conditionallyaccepted to S&P! See you in San Francisco!
- [04/2022] One paper accepted to AHFE! See you in New York!
- [10/2021] One poster accepted to UIUC iSchool Research Showcase!
- [08/2021] One paper accepted to HICSS! See you in Hawaii!
- [11/2020] I receive an Irwin Fellowship!
- [08/2020] I receive a Sharp Katharine Fellowship!
- [08/2020] I will remotely start my doctoal study at UIUC this fall!
- [06/2020] My undergraduate thesis on attacking rumor detectors wins Excellent Thesis Award!
- [05/2020] I'm nominated by Hongyi Honor College (2 out of 1128, 0.18%) to run for Top 10 Students of Wuhan University (十大珞珈风云学子).
- [04/2020] I'm an Outstanding Graduate of Hongyi Honor College (24 out of 121, 20%).
- [02/2020] I've decided to pursue my PhD degree in the iSchool of UIUC, and will spend the next 5 wonderful years in Champaign. Go Illini!
- [09/2019] One poster accepted to WiML Workshop co-located with NeurIPS! See you in Vancouver!
- [05/2019] One paper accepted to SmartCity! See you in Zhangjiajie!
- [12/2018] One paper accepted to ICAART! See you in Prague!