PhD Student @ UIUC iSchool
I am a PhD student in the School of Information Sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (my "official" webpage). My advisor is Dr. Yang Wang. I obtained my Bachelor's degree in Computer Science from Hongyi Honor College at Wuhan University, China.
Previously, I was a visiting student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, advised by Dr. Justin Hsu, Fudan University, advised by Dr. Xianghua (Sharon) Ding, and the University of Maryland-College Park, advised by Dr. Furong Huang. I was a research intern at Tencent, Bytedance and Zall Research Institute of Smart Commerce.
My research interests are in usable security and privacy, human-computer interaction (HCI) and machine learning. I combine qualitative and quantitative methods to tackle arising security and privacy risks in machine learning and the Web. I'm also interested in social media research, aiming to create a safe, pleasant and beneficial online space for all. Recently, I'm working on usability, community dynamics and security issues in Blockchain and decentralized finance (DeFi).
Drop me a line if you are also interested in DeFi, social media, software security, adversarial examples, or AI security/privacy/fairness/explainability/ethics research!
At the insistence of my lovely wife, I link to her website.
- [11/2020] I receive an Irwin Fellowship!
- [08/2020] I will remotely start my doctoal study at UIUC this fall! I receive a Sharp Katharine Fellowship!
- [06/2020] My undergraduate thesis on attacking rumor detectors wins Excellent Thesis Award!
- [05/2020] I'm nominated by Hongyi Honor College (2 out of 1128, 0.18%) to run for Top 10 Students of Wuhan University (十大珞珈风云学子).
- [04/2020] I'm an Outstanding Graduate of Hongyi Honor College (24 out of 121, 20%), and selected as a member of the graduates committee.
- [03/2020] Starting late April, I'll be a research intern at Tencent, Lightspeed & Quantum Studios Group (home to PUBG Mobile). See you in Shenzhen!
- [02/2020] I've decided to pursue my PhD degree in the iSchool of UIUC, and will spend the next 5 wonderful years in Champaign. Go Illini!
- [09/2019] One paper accepted to WiML Workshop 2019 for a poster presentation.
- [05/2019] One paper accepted to SmartCity 2019 for an oral presentation (opted for a poster presentation in the end due to tight schedule).
- [04/2019] I'm a researcher at Zall Research Institute of Smart Commerce. Utilize AI to enhance B2B services!
- [04/2019] The team I advise wins Honorable Mention Award in Mathematical Contest In Modeling (MCM). Congrats to Yuxiao Jiang, Peiming Chen and Xun Ma!
- [12/2018] One paper accepted to ICAART 2019 for an oral presentation. See you in Prague!
- [10/2018] I'm a research intern at ByteDance.
Information Seeking and Consumption Practices of Older Adults During COVID-19
Joint work with Yang Wang at UIUC
We conduct semi-structured interviews with older adults in China to understand their information seeking and consumption practices during the COVID-19 pandemic. The study could inform future information systems design for this group of people.
Awards & Honors
- Nominee of Hongyi Honor College (2 out of 1128, 0.18%) to run for Top 10 Students of Wuhan University (十大珞珈风云学子), 2020
- Graduates Committee Member, Hongyi Honor College, 2020-Present
- Outstanding Graduate, Hongyi Honor College (24 out of 121, 20%), 2020
- Honorable Mention Award in Mathematical Contest In Modeling (MCM) as Student Advisor, 2019
- Outstanding Student Certificate, P&G, 2019
- Special Overseas Scholarships, Wuhan University, 2018 and 2019
- Outstanding Student Award, Hongyi Honor College, 2018
- Freshman Scholarship, Wuhan University, 2016
- I'm a basketball fan (of Lakers!) and played SG/SF for Hongyi Honor College. I once hit seven 3-pointers (7/11) in three games.
- I'm crazy about Shakespearean Operas and played leading roles in A Midsummer Night's Dream and The Taming of the Shrew.
- I learned and mastered Chinese Bamboo Flute ("dizi" in Chinese). But I haven't played it for years.
- I haven't had time for gym since 2019, but I'll go there next week. Trust me!
- I am a born collaborator. I like working and performing with different people.